For Christmas, my wonderful wife bought me all of the Star Trek movies I was missing from my collection. We’ve started watching all 11 of them in order now. She hasn’t seen most of them. So far we’ve made it through #7 (Generations). We both agree that this is how we would sort the original series movies from best to worst:
- 6: The Undiscovered Country
- 4: The Voyage Home – Directed by Leonard Nimoy. In one of his autobiographies, he tells how he used a “Mission Impossible” style plot structure: multiple teams of people working separately towards a common goal.
- 2: The Wrath of Kahn
- 5: The Final Frontier – Well connected plot—just not the best plot.
- 3: The Search for Spock – It seems bad to rank this one so low, but the plot wasn’t very connected. It does set the stage for #6.
- 1: The Motion Picture – We both fell asleep during this one.
This ranking still preserve the rule that the even number movies are the best.
Next we’ll have to see how the next generation movies compare…